Thursday, January 29, 2009

Flavorful Friday

In honor of my super-duper cruise I decided today's Flavorful Friday would be something I ate almost every night aboard the Elation! The waiters at our table knew exactly what to bring DH every night for dessert... this, with 3 vanilla ice creams! On the last night he ordered double his usual. Once we got home he had me scouring the internet to find his beloved dessert. Well I finally found it at cruisecritic.com on their boards. Last night I made this heavenly treat and it was just like I remembered! I bought the 7 oz. ramekins at Walmart, a set of two for $5. This recipe fills 6 ramekins. I personally like my center very runny, like hershey's syrup, and last night I baked it for 13 minutes. The center was more like hot fudge. Next time, and there Will be a next time, I'll bake for a minute or two less. I have yet to finish the whole thing... it is sooo rich, but sooo worth it!


Warm Melting Chocolate Cake


8 oz. dark chocolate (you can use 1 1/3 C. semi-sweet choc. chips)
8 oz. butter
5 eggs (room temperature)

5/8 C. sugar

2/3 C. flour


Directions
Melt chocolate & butter over low heat. In mixing bowl, mix eggs and sugar, then add flour. Slowly whisk into the melted chocolate mixture. Pour into greased (i used Baker's Joy) ramekins. (i tried 4 oz. & 7 oz. -- 7 oz. is just too big!) Bake at 400 F for 12-14 minutes. Yield: 36 oz. unbaked batter; 8 servings if you use a 4 oz. ramekin.Adjust times according to the size ramekin you use, and the texture you prefer. In a 4 oz. ramekin for 13 min., the texture on the inside of the cake was a little heavier than pudding, kind of like a loose fudge. I also did some in my convection oven at 350F. 13 minutes in a 4 oz. ramekin yielded a smooth, hot fudge sauce-like center. In the 7 oz. size, 16 min. at 350F in the convection oven produced a pudding-like texture in the middle. Regular oven, 7 oz. size, at 400F, smooth, heavy sauce-like texture resulted after 14 min.

2 comments:

Stella said...

Mmmm....This sounds SCRUMPTIOUS!! Wonder if I could convince DH or DS to make these for Valentine's Day?? LOL! Of course, I suppose I COULD make it for THEM.

Melanie said...

OMG!!!! We went on a cruise in October and we had that EVERY NIGHT!!!!! SO GOOD! I will be making this! I have missed it :o)
Thanks for sharing! xoxo